Grammar and Style Resources
DICTIONARY AND LANGUAGE RESOURCES
[ Top of Page ]
- 11 Rules of Writing - This site is a concise guide to some of the most commonly violated rules of writing.
- Acronym Finder - With more than 900,000 human-edited definitions, Acronym Finder is the world's largest and most comprehensive dictionary of acronyms, abbreviations, and initialisms.
- Acronyms Used in the Computer Community
- Advice on Research and Writing
- AllAcronyms.com - "All Acronyms is the most comprehensive and user-friendly dictionary for all acronyms and abbreviations, including Internet slang terms."
- Allwords.com - English dictionary with multi-lingual search.
- Anagram Server
- Antagonyms - words that have opposite meanings (e.g., "bad" can mean bad or good depending on usage).
- ArtLex - "Welcome to ArtLex. You will find definitions of more than 3,100 terms here, along with numerous illustrations, pronunciation notes, great quotations, and links to other resources on the Web."
- BabyNameTrain.com - "BabyNameTrain has thousands of baby names for boys and girls, name meanings, name origins, current popularity trends and more. Check out our name lists, name variations, and suggested sibling names. It's everything you'll need to find a unique baby name or a popular baby name."
- bab.la: Online Dictionaries - "Online dictionary for 24 languages.
And much more about languages and translation: Conjugation, Quizzes, Games, Forum, etc."
- Barkley's Financial Glossary
- Basic Dictionary of American Sign Language Terms
- Biographical Dictionary - This dictionary covers more than 28,000 notable men and women who have shaped our world from ancient times to the present day.
- Book of Cliches, The
- Book Terms & Glossary
- Bouviers Law Dictionary
- Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable - Classic dictionary presented by Infoplease.
- Cambridge Dictionaries Online - An online search engine allowing users to find definitions.
- Carnegie Mellon's Language Learning Resource Center
- Common Errors in English - site which simply and entertainingly explains a number of common spelling and usage errors in English.
- Constructed Human Languages
- Copyediting - "Copyediting newsletter helps copy editors, editors and corporate communications pros improve their copyediting skills by presenting the latest trends in grammar, word usage and style."
- CyberItalian - interactive language course as well as culture, chat, and links.
- DOD Dictionary of Military Terms - DOD Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms.
- Dental Dictionary - "Dental Dictionary - A complete list of dental slogans/jargons that come with a short description on what they're all about - Complete Dental Guide."
- Devil's Dictionary, The
- Dictionary.com - "Dictionary.com - the largest and most trusted free online dictionary. Quickly find accurate definitions and audio pronunciations of words."
- Dictionary of Computing
- Dictionary of Dental Terms
- Dictionary of Difficult Words - index of over 13,900 difficult words from The Hutchinson Dictionary of Difficult Words. Use as a resource for increasing your vocabulary, for word games and puzzles, or just for enjoying and enriching your word power.
- Dictionary of Digital Camera Terms
- A Dictionary of Quotations - The 2,100 entries in this eminently researched collection form the constellation of collected wisdom in American political debate.
- Dictionary of Math Terms for Kids - An animated, interactive dictionary for students which explains over 400 common mathematical terms in simple language.
- Dictionary of Philosophical Terms and Names
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable - E. Cobham Brewer's 1898 collection of more than 18,000 entries that reveal the etymologies, trace the origins and otherwise catalog 'words with a tale to tell.'
- Dictionary of Scientific Quotations
- Dictionary of Symbolism - From abnormality to zodiac, this dictionary lists common literary symbols and their connotations.
- DOT - Dictionary of Occupational Titles - It's the official dictionary of occupational titles. DOT's database is arranged alphabetically and can be read online or downloaded in one file.
- Duhaime's Law Dictionary - Researched, written in plain language and provided free of charge, to the WWLIA and its users, by lawyer Lloyd Duhaime.
- Elements of Style - by William Strunk
- English as a Second Language Home Page
- English/Cockney Rhyming Slang Dictionary
- English-French Dictionary and French-English Dictionaries
- English Grammar - "Download English grammar rules review, English grammar lessons and grammar exercises for free, or get grammar help and ESL tips on proper grammar usage."
- English-Spanish Library and Information Studies Dictionary
- Esperanto-English and English-Esperant Dictionaries
- Ethnologue Database - on-line database of information about 6,500 languages. Includes alternate names, number of speakers, location, dialects, linguistic affiliation, and other sociolinguistic and demographic data.
- Etymology Sites: Behind the Name | Etymologyically Speaking | Online Etymology Dictionary | Phrase Finder | Roots of English: an Etymological Dictionary | Take Our Word for It | Word Detective, The | Word Origins | Word Spy
- Etymology of First Names, The - This site looks into the meaning and history of common first names.
- Fine Dictionary - "FineDictionary.com includes definitions from 4 dictionaries (WordNet, Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia and Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary), illustrations, example sentences, interesting acts, quotations, idioms and etymology as well as related words (synonyms, hypernyms, hyponyms)."
- Freedict.com - translating dictionaries from English to the following languages: Afrikaans, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, and Swedish.
- Free Online Spell Checker - "This free online spell checker and spell check enables you to check your texts for spelling, grammar, or punctuation mistakes and offers instant feedback to correct spelling errors."
- FreeTranslation.com - "FreeTranslation.com is a straight forward, easy-to-use site for rapid translations where you can get the 'gist' of foreign language text and web pages."
- Glossary of Business Terms: Washington Post
- Glossary of Cancer
- Glossary of Computer and Internet Terms
- Glossary of Internet Terms
- Glossary of Investment Terms
- Glossary of Literary Terms
- Glossary of Poetic Terms
- Glossary of Solar Physics
- Glossary of Statistical Terms
- Glossary of Stock Market Terms: Nasdaq
- Glossary of Weather Terms: Washington Post
- Glossary of Wireless Terms
- Grammar and Style Notes - by Jack Lynch
- GrammarCheck.net - "Now you can grammar and spell check any text or document online. Simply copy and paste your text onto our website to proofread, review, and correct it."
- Guide to Grammar and Writing - The Guide to Grammar and Writing contains scores of digital handouts on grammar and English usage, over 170 computer-graded quizzes, recommendations on writing -- from basic problems in subject-verb agreement and the use of articles to exercises in parallel structures and help with argumentative essays, and a way to submit questions about grammar and writing."
- Hawaiian Dictionary Online - Hawaiian-English and English-Hawaiian words.
- Hebrew Tutorial
- Heteronyms - words that are spelled identically but have different meanings when pronounced differently (e.g., wind or lead).
- HyperDictionary - This dictionary looks up the word and presents the definitions twice. First a clean definition then with every work in the definition hyperlinked.
- International Journal of Lexicography - concerned with all aspects of lexicography; focus is on dictionaries of the major European languages.
- Internet Dictionary: Net Lingo
- Jane's Defence Glossary - search over 20,000 defence-related acronyms and abbreviations in the Janes' database
- Japanese Language
- Japanese Online
- King's English, The - by H.W. Fowler
- LangToLang.com - Free multilingual dictionary offers bidirectional, single and multiple words translation from/to: English, German, French, Spanish, Russian, Italian and Turkish language pairs.
- Languages - This BBC site provides resources to help you learn Spanish, French, German, Italian, and other languages through online lessons. You can also learn holiday phrases in 34 languages and more.
- Latin Dictionary and Grammar Aid
- Latin-English Dictionary
- Latin Terms and Phrases in Mathematics
- Legal Dictionary: FindLaw
- Lexical FreeNet - a directory of over 500 translation dictionaries and glossaries.
- Literary Encyclopedia and Literary Dictionary - The aim of The Literary Encyclopedia and Literary Dictionary is to provide profiles of the lives and works of literary authors whose works are valued in the English language, and to do so within an electronic publication which will enable readers to explore literary history as never before.
- Little Explorers Picture Dictionary with Links - Fun and educational use of the Internet. Great place for kids to explore.
- LOGOS - Multilingual Dictionary
- Luciferous Logolepsy - a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words.
- Medical Dictionary - Site features encylopedic dictionary of over 9,000 classic and contemporary medical terms. Written entirely by physicians for both professional and non-professional readers site assists everyone concerned about health -- their health and the health of those that matter to them.
- Music Dictionary Online - Our Music Dictionary Online explains words and terms you may meet when reading musical scores, books about music or programme notes on CDs or at concerts. We have made it more comprehensive, by providing copious links to supplementary material in our own Music Theory Online resource, our Musical e-Monographs and external websites.
- New User Dictionary
- Newbury House Online Dictionary - This online dictionary contains over 40,000 entries and is based on the best selling Newbury House Dictionary of American English. Providing simple and clear definitions, this online tool provides a wealth of sample sentences, idioms, and a wide array of cultural facts and figures.
- OneLook Dictionary Search - Look up a word or term in an Internet dictionary or glossary. Free search access to a frequently updated database of words, terms, names, and acronyms.
- On-line Chinese Tools - "These pages hope to provide tools to assist people in learning and using the beautiful Chinese language."
- On-line Dictionaries
- On-line Dictionaries and Glossaries
- Online Etymology Dictionary
- Online Language Dictionaries and Translators
- Omniglot: A Guide to Writing Systems -This website provides a guide to over 150 different alphabets, syllabaries and other writing systems including a few you will find nowhere else. It also contains details of many of the languages written with those writing systems and links to a wide range of language-related resources, such as fonts, online dictionaries and online language courses.
- Oxford English Dictionary
- Oxymoron List - "The Largest List of Oxymorons Ever Collected Online."
- Paradigm Online Writing Assistant - guide to writing, composition, rhetoric, editing, and style.
- Phrase Finder - Phrases, sayings, idioms and cliches.
- Polish-Dictionary.com - This online English-Polish Dictionary contains approximately 2000 words, phrases, and expressions.
- Poker Glossary
- Power Thesaurus - "Power Thesaurus is a fast, comprehensive and easy-to-follow online thesaurus for writers, journalists, students and teachers."
- Purdue Univ. OWL - Online Writing Lab
- RhymeZone - site offers rhymes, synonyms, antonyms, related words, and other phonetic and semantic functions; it also has integrated cross-referencing of famous quotations, Shakespeare, Biblical passages, Mother Goose rhymes, and user-submitted poetry.
- Skeptic's Dictionary
- Smartling - "Simplify and accelerate translation and localization of your websites, mobile apps, and documents."
- Spanish Dictionary - "The world's most popular Spanish translation website. Over 1,000,000 words and phrases. Free. Easy. Accurate."
- Specialty Dictionaries - Not even a native speaker knows all the words of his own language. Technical vocabulary is used only by specialists and so is not generally known by non-specialists. At this site you will find dictionaries and glossaries of specialized words in the English language, from Accounting to Wine.
- SpellCheck.net - Free online spell checker. Copy and paste a word or document up to 5000 characters to check and correct it online.
- Street Drug Slang Dictionary - Indiana Prevention Resource Center
- Take Our Word For It - Archive of etymology questions
- TechDictionary.com - Search for thousands of computer and technology terms by term or keyword. Included are; computer, Internet and telecommunications terms, acronyms, emoticons or smilies, chat abbreviations, filename extensions, HTML tags, and domain suffixes.
- Tech Terms Computer Dictionary - "The free online dictionary of computer and technology terms. The goal of the Tech Terms Dictionary is to not just define computer terms, but explain them as well. Definitions of computer terms are helpful, but explanations with examples are even better. TechTerms.com contains hundreds of computer and technology terms, all with detailed explanations."
- TheFreeDictionary.com - English, Medical, Legal, and Computer Dictionaries, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, a Literature Reference Library, and a Search Engine all in one!
- Tongue Twisters - the "world's largest collection of tongue twisters" features close to 2,000 international entries.
- Victorian London Dictionary - period resources guide to the social history of Victorian London.
- Visual Dictionary of Special Plane Curves - including description, history, formulas, properties, and links for each.
- Vocabulary.com: Dictionary - "Try the world's fastest, smartest dictionary: Start typing a word and you'll see the definition. Unlike most online dictionaries, we want you to find your word's meaning quickly. We don't care how many ads you see or how many pages you view. In fact, most of the time you'll find the word you are looking for after typing only one or two letters."
- Where Do Languages Come From? - "We don't ask ourselves where languages come from because they just seem to be there: French in France, English in England, Chinese in China, Japanese in Japan, and so forth. Yet if we go back only a few thousand years, none of these languages were spoken in their respective countries and indeed none of these languages existed anywhere in the world. Where did they all come from? This question is examined by this site by Exploratorium Magazine."
- Word2Word - Language Resources
- WordLab - "Nomenclature + Phraseology + Punmanship Exercises."
- Yahoo Babel Fish: Translations - translate web pages or your own text from or to several languages.
- Ye Olde English Sayings
- Your Dictionary.com - "YourDictionary is a free online dictionary that offers definition search from Webster's dictionary for word meanings and thesaurus. Use this dictionary search as a crossword or scrabble dictionary. Also find legal dictionary, technical words, glossary, foreign language translation, medical dictionary, and rhyming dictionary lists."
Search Net ]
[ Facts Subject Index ]
[ Facts Encyclopedia ] [ Newspapers USA/World ] [ Report Broken Links ]
[ Fast Facts ]
[ First Things First ] [ Quick Reference ] [ Site Map ]
[ Top of Page ] [ HOME ]
MY FACTS PAGE - DICTIONARIES AND LANGUAGE RESOURCES<
Updated: Feb 18, 2015